Wednesday, March 5

Photo Safari at Tacoma's Pythian Temple

Yesterday I had the rare privilege of touring and exploring Tacoma's century-old Pythian Temple. This place is incredible! It was designed by Frederick Heath, who also designed several other beloved Tacoma icons, most prominent of which is Stadium High School.

My tour was part of a City of Tacoma-coordinated "photo safari" that will culminate in a photo exhibition to raise funds toward the restoration of Castle Hall, the Temple's big attraction. This photo shows one of the murals and some of the moldings in Castle Hall. There's also a LOT of beautiful wood paneling, 35-foot vaulted ceilings, and intricate moldings everywhere. There's all sorts of cool old stuff throughout the building, like the Addressograph and an old reed organ with oddly-named levers.

You can see all my keeper photos from this shoot, plus some previous exterior photos I've taken, at http://www.wallflowerphoto.com/pythian for the next few months. I'll add my very favorites to the Fine Art section of our main website soon. I'd love to hear which ones catch your eye, too!

~Scott

No comments: